The checklist for testing if a social media post is cringeworthy
Questions to ask before posting to check if this is a conversation that my personal brand needs.
What we share is how people make sense of us - it is always best to be very mindful of decisive topics like politics and religion, to consider your motivation before posting and to always be thinking about the person reading.
Before posting make sure you can answer YES to all of the following:
- NOT GOING TO REGRET POSTING IT - Is this something that I am not going to regret?
- NOT BRAGGING - Is this not about grandstanding myself?
- IS PUBLIC - Is this public information (e.g. not confidential or sensitive)?
- ALIGNS - It aligns with organisations, people and groups that you value?
- MEETS A NEED - Does this need to be shared?
- HELPS - Does this really help?
- SMILING - Are you smiling?
- IS POSITIVE - Is this positive?
- IS TRUE - Is it true?
- IS THE HUMOUR FUNNY - Does everyone get your sense of humour?
- NOT WHINGEING - Does your audience like a winger?
- ARE THE PICTURES OK - Do pictures make sense to your audience?
- ARE YOU READY FOR COMMENTS - People may make comments, and if you leave any negative ones unchecked then what you don't say may send the wrong message.
- IS IT SOMETHING I WOULD SHOW MY FAMILY - Always a good litmus test.