Use hashtags as often as possible on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram to help you keep connected with your audience.
Check list for getting started with using hashtags to engage and connect
- DEFINITION - a hashtag is a word with a # character at the beginning, for example
- HOW ARE HASHTAGS USED - hashtags are added to a social media post by the post author (you) to help people to search and find similar content. Try it out, visit your favourite social media platform and search on a hashtag. As expected, you will find that results all show content containing your search hashtag topic.
- HOW TO FIND A GOOD HASHTAG - repeat the following until you find what you are looking for. Start searching broadly, and then narrow your search by including more hashtags that make sense to you. For example, if you are interested in sharing about dancing cats that might make people smile consider starting with
#memes, then add
#cat, add likewise
#danceto your search. Next, review the results and find something that is trending like
- WHAT TO DO NEXT - start adding your newly found favourite hashtag to your posts.
- BITE SIZED SOCIAL MEDIA ENGAGEMENT TIP - to keep you in front of your audience, share what other people are sharing on your newly found favourite hashtag.
IMPORTANT NOTE - Some social media platforms do not allow for multiple hashtags in the search. If this is the case, consider using a platform like Twitter to refine your search, to get started searching on Twitter use https://twitter.com/explore
For more check out and of interest
- How to use advanced Twitter search features - helpful post about using Twitter flags to refine search.
YES/NO are you using hashtags and comment a question
Feel very welcome to share a comment, very interested in your experiences of using hashtags and questions.